“Any man can be a father, but it takes a special man to be a Dad”
I love that quote, it’s so true. There are some really amazing Dads out there – Bobby being one of them! Father’s Day is the perfect opportunity to show your Dad how much he means to you, which is why our family is really into Father’s Day.
Bobby’s all about giving to others, so it’s very fitting that this Father’s Day we’ll spend giving back to Cancer Schmancer with Fran Dresher and friends, including Rosie O’Donnell, Sex in the City’s Cynthia Nixon, Millionaire Matchmaker Patti Stanger, and Patti Lupone. It’s going to be a great evening with a boat cruise around Manhattan. You’re all invited to attend, tickets are still on sale.
Speaking of Father’s Day I want to share this recipe of mine, it’s perfect for meat loving Dads. I like to pair it with quinoa, instead of the usual spaghetti. You’ll find these juicy balls are bursting with flavor and are especially delicious when you jazz up the usual tomato sauce with Streit’s cranberry sauce. Streit’s really makes the best sauces and condiments, I recommend using them in all your recipes – I think of them as my secret cooking weapon!
Heavenly Sweet & Sour Meatballs with Quinoa
1lb ground beef
1lb ground chicken
½ cup Streit’s matzo meal
½ cup water
½ an onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1 can Streit’s jellied cranberry sauce
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. ginger powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
For the Quinoa:
1½ cups Streit’s quinoa
3 cups water
1 tbsp. oil
1-2 tsp. Streit’s garlic and herb seasoning
- Put all sauce ingredients in a pot and simmer gently until the jellied cranberry sauce has melted.
- To make the meatballs, put the matzo meal and water into a small bowl for 10 minutes until soggy. Gently mix the wet matzo meal with the rest of the meatball ingredients until just combined.
- Roll the meat mixture into evenly sized balls and drop into the simmering sauce. Cook covered for 35-40 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Rinse the quinoa well before using. Put the quinoa, water, oil and seasoning into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until water is fully absorbed. Remove from the stove and keep covered for 5 minutes. Then remove cover and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Serve meatballs on a bed of quinoa.
NOTE: Meatballs freeze well.
Happy Father’s Day!